Archive for 2011/11/29
Music streaming site Grooveshark paid employees by the amount of music they illegally uploaded to the site, filings in a lawsuit allegePosted: 2011/11/29 in Education / Awareness, Illegal File Sharing, Litigation
To protect copyright, the movie industry favors legislation that would strangle the Internet
With the death and canonization of Steve Jobs and the emergence of the Jobs biography as a kind of sacred text for managers, the ranks of bosses who see Bad Steve’s nastier traits as something to imitate is liable to swellPosted: 2011/11/29 in Education / Awareness
We can expect at least another 10 years of unbridled and irrational fear about the threat of cyber war before things calm downPosted: 2011/11/29 in Cybercrime, Education / Awareness
EA’s Battlefield 3 has been outlawed in Iran, with police allegedly arresting shop owners that secretly stock the gamePosted: 2011/11/29 in Education / Awareness
A dangerous worm is using Facebook to spread itself by posting malicious links on the social networking website that point to malware-tainted sites loaded with a variant of the Zeus banking Trojan as well as other nastiesPosted: 2011/11/29 in Cybercrime, Education / Awareness
A company, which makes everything from anti-ship microwave guns to stealthy killer drones to freaky invisibility cloaks for tanks, risks calling a war hero an exaggerator or a liar in defending itself. Good luck with that onePosted: 2011/11/29 in Education / Awareness
Very explicit internal memo from 1954 retrieved by Dutch News Broadcaster RTL. The memo states:
* That the memo should only be read to the Friars and not be distributed;
* The Church will only thrive if the religious ones keep to their goals, otherwise the conditions for fruitful labor will disappear and harm God’s Church, the children, the families and society. That can cause both temporary and eternal misfortune (for the religious ones) and can also lead the ones entrusted to the Church astray;
* As a concerned mother, the Church is constantly warning her children, knowing that a warned man counts for two;
* The worldly government is also taking measures to protect young citizens against the elderly. Time and again, the facts are proving that those measures are not unnecessary (examples of the consequences of child abuse are being provided);
* It is sad to have to conclude that also among the ranks of convents, such failures occur;
* Man is weak and tempted to do evil. Typically it all starts with unnecessary touching and feeling of head and limbs which are uncovered by clothing. When this behavior is unnecessary, it quickly ends up in touching those parts of the body which are covered with clothing;
* Even when limited to the upper thigh, such behavior is punishable by law;
* One is insulting God by engaging in such behavior to satisfy one’s own pleasures;
* Pity the man who relies on his own strength and does not acknowledge his own weakness;
* In recent years (stated in 1954) child abuse is occurring more frequent than before. It’s a sign of the times (examples provided of possible causes such as changing dress code and weaker education of children);
* It is known to us that in certain educational circles meetings are being concluded by the statement: “Men, please be careful when dealing with children, and don’t cause yourself to be miserable for your entire life. Keep your hands to yourself.”
* We have to support each other with all means and in every way to avoid the dangers associated with our calling.
The memo was written by Friar M. Petrus Canisius from Tilburg.
When asked to comment, Friar Huitema from Tilburg acknowledges that he’s aware of 5 similar documents which have been located in the archives, one going back to 1900. He also adds that the warning Friar Canisius has provided appears to have been insufficient.
Dutch language memo:
Dutch language news article:
What will now follow is a consultation period involving those likely to be affected by the strategy. These will include the cyberlocker and DDL sites themselves, Internet service providers, banking and payment providers, plus advertising networks.
The discussions will also investigate the limits of existing legislative tools and propose amendments should they be found lacking.
Rick Falkvinge, founder of the first Pirate Party in Sweden, has earned a spot in Foreign Policy’s prestigious list of Top 100 Global ThinkersPosted: 2011/11/29 in Copyright, Education / Awareness
Alongside familiar names such as Barack Obama, Bill Gates, Clay Shirky, Ron Paul and Hilary Clinton, the Pirate Party founder was recognized for inspiring millions of people worldwide.