It will start with four 17-frame Spectra T-Finity tape libraries for near-line data archive needs in the first year. Two more will be installed the following year. This means a raw capacity of 328PB and read/write performance of up to 2.2PB/hour with IBM TS1140 tape drives, the LTO format having lucked out.
The data stored will have been or will be processed by applications such as:
- predicting the behaviour of hurricanes and tornadoes
- analysing complex biological systems
- understanding how the cosmos evolved after the Big Bang
- designing new materials at the atomic level
- simulating complex engineered systems like the power distribution system in airplanes and automobiles.