I need a new country. This one is lost. To illustrate this I’d like to translate an article about a major current political issue in the Netherlands for you. It’s about the maximum speed on a newly upgraded highway.
First off, here’s a selection of some of the books I have been reading in the past 6 months or so. (The book title is a link to the Wikipedia article for the book. If the author’s name is a link, it’s a TED talk by the author dealing with the same subject matter.
- Anatomy of an Epidemic – Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America - Robert Whitaker – (amazon)
- Griftopia – Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids and the Long Con That Is Breaking America – Matt Taibbi – (amazon)
- Vultures Picnic – In Pursuit of Petroleum Pigs, Power Pirates and High-Finance Carnivores – Greg Palast – (amazon)
- The Big Short – Inside the doomsday machine – Michael Lewis – (amazon)
- Drift - The Unmooring of American Military Power – Rachel Maddow – (amazon)
- Sustainable Energy Without The Hot Air - David MacKay FRS – (free PDF)
- Limits to Growth – The 3o-Year Update – Donella Meadows, Jorgen Randers – (amazon)
- The Great Disruption – Why the Climate Crisis Will Bring On the End of Shopping and the birth of a New World – Paul Gilding - (amazon)
- The Long Emergency – Surviving the End of the Oil Age, Climate Change, and Other Converging Catastrophies of the Twenty-first Century – James Howard Kunstler – (amazon)
- The Rational Optimist – How prosperity evolves – Matt Ridley – (amazon)